Here is the place for the lowdown on tennis, golf and other sport on campus. And if you consider band, debate or quiz bowl a sport, you have found your home. It is also the place to discuss schoolwide athletics.

What should be Liberty's next Division I sport?

27%
3%
30%
3%
20%
3%
3%
10%
By ATrain
#519719 Liberty has not added a new sport since the addition of women's lacrosse (09), women's swimming (10) and women's field hockey (11) and the discontinuation of wrestling (again). Since our school has grown since that time, and continues to grow, what should be the next sport added when the athletics department goes into expansion mode again.
By Sly Fox
#519761 There's a difference between what I want and what I feel makes sense to add next. I went with women's golf. Frankly I am a bit surprised that it hasn't been in our lineup all along.
By BJWilliams
#519772 I went with ice hockey as well...but women's golf does make sense Sly and would have been my other vote.
By Cider Jim
#519775 If Rifle is chosen, look for ole BJ to enroll back at LU, and this sport will take him to the Olympics. :clapping
By ATrain
Cider Jim wrote:If Rifle is chosen, look for ole BJ to enroll back at LU, and this sport will take him to the Olympics. :clapping

I thought he'd be applying for the head coaching position.
By Cider Jim
ATrain wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:If Rifle is chosen, look for ole BJ to enroll back at LU, and this sport will take him to the Olympics. :clapping

That's after BJ wins the GOLD medal.
By olldflame
Cider Jim wrote:
ATrain wrote:

That's after BJ wins the GOLD medal.

Worked for Dot 8)
By BJWilliams
#519878 Thanks for the kind words re: rifle guys...I haven't touched one in about...goodness...15 years, so I would certainly be out of practice even if I seriously wanted to try it
By BuryYourDuke
#522952 Obviously would love to see women's ice hockey. Realistically though, triathlon is going to be a solid NCAA sport. With our endurance sport pedigree, it seems to make sense.
By SeoulFlame
#523356 Rugby! All these schools have team: VMI, Radford, VA Tech. UVA, Washington and Lee, etc.

Rugby is the third largest TV event in the world (behind the Olympics and the Soccer World Cup.

Rugby is now in the Olympics too.
By BJWilliams
#523466 There's rugby sevens (which they play in the Olympics) and then rugby union. Would be awesome to have the ability to field both of those
By adam42381
BuryYourDuke wrote:I don't think NCAA rugby is a thing, is it?

Women's rugby is an "emerging sport" and counts toward Title IX requirements.

https://www.usarugby.org/ncaa/
By Purple Haize
olldflame wrote:
phoenix wrote:Do we have a bass fishing team yet?

Pretty sure we have a club team I don't believe the NCAA sponsors fishing

Under Armour Does

http://www.espn.com/outdoors/tournament ... id=3072091
By flamehunter
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:
phoenix wrote:Do we have a bass fishing team yet?

Pretty sure we have a club team I don't believe the NCAA sponsors fishing

Under Armour Does

http://www.espn.com/outdoors/tournament ... id=3072091

You realize that was 2007, right? Cabela's is the current sponsor. Here are the 2016 standings. FWIW, LU is 128th. :gonefishin
http://www.collegiatebasschampionship.com/uploads/Cabelas%20SOY/2016/2016-2017%20ACA%20SOY%20Standings%2011-30-16.pdf
By flamehunter
#523660 As for what sport is added next, I guess we should just ask JLFJR. No one else's opinion matters, right?
The real poll should be: What is JR's favorite sport not currently sponsored at LU?
I'll start - "King of the Mountain"
By adam42381
Kolzilla41 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Women's Hockey would be tough. Are there any women's teams that are remotely close to Lynchburg?

Probably Princeton or Ohio State.

6 1/2 hours to your closest opponent isn't a recipe for success.
By Purple Haize
adam42381 wrote:
Kolzilla41 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Women's Hockey would be tough. Are there any women's teams that are remotely close to Lynchburg?

Probably Princeton or Ohio State.

6 1/2 hours to your closest opponent isn't a recipe for success.

**cough cough** FBS Independent **cough cough**
By ballah09
#527074 I heard a while back that once they got football into FBS they were going to focus on hockey and moving them to NCAA. I don't know if that changed.

also I see them adding a sport rather then a bunch of sports to get them to 18 scholarships.

gymnastics makes the most sense and they are going to start offering diving scholarships next year. they have been using fill ins the past two years.
By BuryYourDuke
#527099 Worth noting that McCaw was the AD of two NCAA hockey schools...and worked in the NHL for a bit as well.

If anyone would know what it took to make it happen for men's and women's hockey, it's our AD.
By ballah09
BuryYourDuke wrote:Worth noting that McCaw was the AD of two NCAA hockey schools...and worked in the NHL for a bit as well.

If anyone would know what it took to make it happen for men's and women's hockey, it's our AD.

yup. with the upgrades and the previous ambitions. I definitely believe hockey is going to happen. just a matter of when.

I'm sure they loved the press they got from that goal too. it was featured on TSN up in Canada for a few days. It will be interesting to see what unfolds in the next couple of years. fun times
By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote:http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/women-s-sports-could-be-added-as-liberty-football-transitions/article_baa6328c-7402-58d6-8e8c-b3d7f65b5b59.html

Golf, BV, and gymnastics.

Women's hockey was also a possibility although it may seem minor. We'll just have to see the interest of students, Lynchburg and other regions surrounded or somewhat near Lynchburg.
By Class of 20Something
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
ballah09 wrote:http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/women-s-sports-could-be-added-as-liberty-football-transitions/article_baa6328c-7402-58d6-8e8c-b3d7f65b5b59.html

Golf, BV, and gymnastics.

Women's hockey was also a possibility although it may seem minor. We'll just have to see the interest of students, Lynchburg and other regions surrounded or somewhat near Lynchburg.

I doubt hockey moves up. ACHA is not much of a step down from NCAA if at all.
By flamehunter
Class of 20Something wrote:I doubt hockey moves up. ACHA is not much of a step down from NCAA if at all.

Then doesn't that make it more likely to move up if the goal is to create NCAA opportunities for the women and remain Title IX compliant?
By Class of 20Something
flamehunter wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I doubt hockey moves up. ACHA is not much of a step down from NCAA if at all.

Then doesn't that make it more likely to move up if the goal is to create NCAA opportunities for the women and remain Title IX compliant?

To me, it doesn't make sense to split hockey. Some in NCAA and some in ACHA just doesn't seem like the right decision. If it were up to me, hockey is all or none. Golf, BV and Rowing make more sense. Having a Women's Golf team to compliment the mens makes the most sense with the least required investment.
By flamehunter
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamehunter wrote:

To me, it doesn't make sense to split hockey. Some in NCAA and some in ACHA just doesn't seem like the right decision. If it were up to me, hockey is all or none. Golf, BV and Rowing make more sense. Having a Women's Golf team to compliment the mens makes the most sense with the least required investment.

Hockey would not require much of an increase in investment and the number of additional roster spots would be greater. I don't disagree with the other sports being good additions but I wouldn't take hockey off the table.
By ballah09
#535715 Golf is a given. BV is made up of half the regular girls from the volleyball team. I don't think its Crew because that doesn't spike anyone's interest. I do see a lot of interest in gymnastics and hockey. Hockey does have the more up to date facilities but there are a lot more gymnastic teams on the east coast. I'm thinking they will head towards gymnastics. Both are good options.
By Class of 20Something
ballah09 wrote:Golf is a given. BV is made up of half the regular girls from the volleyball team. I don't think its Crew because that doesn't spike anyone's interest. I do see a lot of interest in gymnastics and hockey. Hockey does have the more up to date facilities but there are a lot more gymnastic teams on the east coast. I'm thinking they will head towards gymnastics. Both are good options.

And with a gymnastics facility Liberty is that much closer to hosting the Olympics
By Purple Haize
ballah09 wrote:Golf is a given. BV is made up of half the regular girls from the volleyball team. I don't think its Crew because that doesn't spike anyone's interest. I do see a lot of interest in gymnastics and hockey. Hockey does have the more up to date facilities but there are a lot more gymnastic teams on the east coast. I'm thinking they will head towards gymnastics. Both are good options.

Yeah. You're not really going out that far on a limb with thinking Women's Golf would be added next.
Don't underestimate Crew. It gives you the scholarship spots without a huge overhead expense.