Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Cider Jim wrote:With all due respect, a BLIMP would be nice, too. :wink:
Have you seen the size of some of the people on The Baptist side?
LUconn wrote:My biggest concern going forward: is Ian McCaw the man who can get us a military jet pregame flyover?

LU has a Retired Air Force General on staff. I would like to think he could have "connections" to obtain at least one fly-over annually
ballcoach15 wrote:
LUconn wrote:My biggest concern going forward: is Ian McCaw the man who can get us a military jet pregame flyover?

LU has a Retired Air Force General on staff. I would like to think he could have "connections" to obtain at least one fly-over annually
Is there an AFB near by? There's an NAS close
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This thread is one of the things I enjoy most about this board ... even with all of its warts.

As for former Baylor football assistant Gill, the Grant Teaff connection jumped to my mind as well in regard to McCaw. Coach Teaff is a legend with a capital L in Waco. He is also a man of character who I would expect our new AD to lean on significantly for counsel over the next couple of years in regard to our HFC position. Coach Teaff has long connections to assisting us from afar and is supportive of our mission.

McCaw was part of a massive facilities upgrade in Waco that frankly mirrored ours but on a Big XII level. He may or not be relieved to see the hard work already completed by Jeff. Some ADs love the building process while others abhor it. I have no idea which camp Ian falls into.

Under his leadership, the Olympic sports flourished at BU. In spite of budgets that are dwarfed by nearby rivals in Austin and College Station, Baylor seemed to be able to compete at a high level under McCaw's guidance nearly across the board. So I expect he will have similar expectations. I doubt he has ever found himself in the position to outspend the majority of his competitors. That has to bring a smile to his face.

At Baylor, the emphasis on success in the Big Four (Football, MBB, WBB & Baseball) was clear to all watching. Success in those sports is what encourgaged donor investment in the others. I suspect he will have firm hand in making sure all of these programs stay improving.

It is interesting that you all bring up Coach Alder and mens soccer. McCaw comes from a part of the nation where collegiate mens soccer is nearly extinct. I would think that this program more than any other would have the shadow of Title IX compliance hanging over it.

Last but not least, McCaw did a masterful job engaging Drayton McLane in funding the Bears football program. I would love to see Uncle Drayton visit Lynchburg. He would eat up the Liberty experience and has much deeper pockets than Art Williams ever had. Just food for thought. And if we could ever get the Dr. Pepper folks over here ...
I think that is the key. Can he being new sources of funding in? Is Jerry changing his stance on new large boosters? Will he be willing to allow and share credit for those new donors in the door?
The mechanisms are in place so that he can't fein ignorance to Sexual Assault or Title IX violation and training. IMO you don't make a move like this unless you are willing to clean house from top to bottom.
Carey hasn't been helped by the success that some low majors have had of late ... Florida Gulf Coast has been a borderline Top 25 team. So has Green Bay. They're both in one-bid leagues. The CAA isn't a ton stronger than the Big South in women's basketball, but JMU has been fairly nationally relevant. There was a time when the triplets were around where LU was close to that echelon, but it never really broke through.
Chris Lang wrote:Carey hasn't been helped by the success that some low majors have had of late ... Florida Gulf Coast has been a borderline Top 25 team. So has Green Bay. They're both in one-bid leagues. The CAA isn't a ton stronger than the Big South in women's basketball, but JMU has been fairly nationally relevant. There was a time when the triplets were around where LU was close to that echelon, but it never really broke through.
Pretty much everything i was trying to say. Green is content on dominating the Big South and nothing more. he won't get away with it now that schools are starting to take women's basketball seriously and I don't think JMU, Green Bay, etc wouldn't look this bad rebuilding.
Here is the link to the "State of the Commonwealth" report posted on the University website Here is the portion which is raising eyebrows:

"Flames anticipate being invited to join the NCAA’s Division I Football
Bowl Series (FBS) Division. This would involve Liberty leaving the Big
South Conference and likely competing as an independent for some period
of time."

While the title seems to imply it comes from the State of VA, the tone and content of the whole thing reads like a blatent promo of Liberty Does anyone know who actually wrote it :dontgetit

If the plan is to go independent and work (or force) our way to FBS membership from there, that would be another reason for the change at AD

We may need to start a new thread for this one :roll:
So are we expecting the NCAA to be an exception to us or something? This is so ridiculous on so many levels.

I would love for us to move up to the FBS but it needs to be done in a responsible way. This is the opposite of that.

Then again we did just hire someone still under investigation so I don't think being responsible is at the top of our priority list.
thepostman wrote:So are we expecting the NCAA to be an exception to us or something? This is so ridiculous on so many levels.

I would love for us to move up to the FBS but it needs to be done in a responsible way. This is the opposite of that.

Then again we did just hire someone still under investigation so I don't think being responsible is at the top of our priority list.
You are now seeing things how the other side sees them. NOTHING matters more than FBS and Prestige of Athletics and Buildings and Enrollment Numbers
thepostman wrote:So are we expecting the NCAA to be an exception to us or something? This is so ridiculous on so many levels.

I don't believe there would be any exception I agree it would be a bad idea, but there is nothing keeping us from leaving the BSC and going independent, at which time we could schedule anyone who would play us I would think they would go for a mainly G5 schedule, with perhaps one P5 and a couple of FCS games Problem is, it would be suicide to try that with only 63 scholarships The day we sign #64 we are no longer eligible for FCS postseason play and since we are not in the FBS country club, no bowl game either, regardless of our record

I suppose you can argue this would give us the opportunity to "prove our worth" against an FBS schedule and thus increase chances of a conference bid, or perhaps they plan on suing for FBS membership The current rules for entrance really do not seem to pass the legal smell test All in all the idea seems extremly high risk to me I personally would rather see us stay the course and earn respect by success at the FCS level
Last edited by olldflame on December 6th, 2016, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haize wrote:

You are now seeing things how the other side sees them. NOTHING matters more than FBS and Prestige of Athletics and Buildings and Enrollment Numbers
I'm not sure what successful Universities wouldn't have that as their Top 3 already?

1) Success in Athletics (Meaning more marketing Value)
2)Better Facilities
3) Higher Enrollment

All the above brings glory to God and more soldiers, right? Better here then, say, Harvard or Tennessee... More Champions for Christ. You say those things like it's a bad thing...
thepostman wrote:Are we talking becoming an FCS independent?

I was assuming we meant FBS independent which you can not move up as an independent, you must have a FBS conference invite.
I have no idea what they are planning, but since we would not be bowl eligible, I don't think we could call ourselves FBS independent What I was talking about was essentially becoming an FCS independent, but functioning as an FBS indy with a schedule of FBS games and exceeding the 63 scholarship limit which would make us ineligible for the FCS playoffs I don't think you can play 8 or 9 FBS games in a season with only 63 schollies

No Playoffs
No Bowl Game
No telling if or when it would get us where we want to go
Bad idea
As I said in the other thread the timing is impeccable from Jr's comments a couple months ago to Barbers sudden departure and bringing in a guy like McCaw. Add the fact Campbell was forced to add scholarships by the Big South and the Big South sudden urgency to expand. I know they wanted to expand but when have you seen KK actually do something?

I do think it's going to happen but I don't know which method they will use. Forcing the NCAAs hand or presenting their case after being rejected by the Sun Belt twice.
prototype wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I'm not sure what successful Universities wouldn't have that as their Top 3 already?

1) Success in Athletics (Meaning more marketing Value)
2)Better Facilities
3) Higher Enrollment

All the above brings glory to God and more soldiers, right? Better here then, say, Harvard or Tennessee... More Champions for Christ. You say those things like it's a bad thing...
No they don't bring those things you describe. They bring exposure certainly but that is not remotely the same. If you can show me how an Indoor Practice Facility brings extra glory to God as opposed to when LU didn't have one I'd love to hear it.
I know this is 'The Company Line'. That's fine. It doesn't match up Biblically and that's fine at this point too. In for a pint, in for a pound
If it truly IS for God's Kingdom, wouldn't 1 Christian witnessing to a locker room of non Christians be closer to the Great Commission?
I have never ever believed nor found Biblical backing for Jesus caring who won an athletic contest. But I found a lot of stuff about Him talking about how we who are Christians should conduct ourselves
I don't have any problems with increased enrollment. It's not inherently a bad thing
But on the whole I'm a big fan of investing in People over Places. But that's just me and I know that's not exactly what is going on at LU and that's fine
olldflame wrote:

I don't believe there would be any exception I agree it would be a bad idea, but there is nothing keeping us from leaving the BSC and going independent, at which time we could schedule anyone who would play us I would think they would go for a mainly G5 schedule, with perhaps one P5 and a couple of FCS games Problem is, it would be suicide to try that with only 63 scholarships The day we sign #64 we are no longer eligible for FCS postseason play and since we are not in the FBS country club, no bowl game either, regardless of our record

I suppose you can argue this would give us the opportunity to "prove our worth" against an FBS schedule and thus increase chances of a conference bid, or perhaps they plan on suing for FBS membership The current rules for entrance really do not seem to pass the legal smell test All in all the idea seems extremly high risk to me I personally would rather see us stay the course and earn respect by success at the FCS level
Careful. You are sounding like a member of :flamingdevil
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]