Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
Old Red wrote:Each week I grow more confident that Byron is moving up to the Xfinity series next year (hopefully still with LU). It won't surprise me if Joe Gibbs doesn't sign him to replace Eric Jones.
Whatever happens, he's made a serious mark on the NASCAR Truck series.
He probably would have had win #6 of the shock hadn't broke with 15 to go.
You were right, Old Red. Byron is moving up to the Xfinity Series next year. The release does not say if LU will remain as sponsor (it would surprise me if LU did not sponsor him with the amount of exposure he receives and the attention LU gets on the hood of his car/truck).

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news ... ts-bristol
By Old Red
Considering all that's happened in the last 24 hours, I hope LU does a lot with William & his teams (both current & future) on campus this Fall.
Shoot, if he wins the championship this season Liberty needs to let him do a burn-out all the way down University Blvd & end with donuts in front of the Vines Center. :D
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
With the success he's had this season already, he should bring truck to LU and take a couple "hot" laps around campus.
I haven't heard anything from LU, but this ESPN article makes it sound like LU is moving up and sponsoring William Byron in the Xfinity series. Hope so! The school needs to get as much mileage out of this as possible. I don't see this kind of opportunity coming along again for a long time, if ever.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story ... tin-dillon

You'll have to scroll down a bit to get past the other series' news.
I would like to see Byron and LU move up to the Sprint Cup series. That's where the best mileage would be got. And have Jonathan Falwell give pre race prayer at a lot of races, and Charles Billingsley sing National Anthem or God Bless America.
Not sure LU could justify dropping the funds needed for a full season at the cup level. However, we could probably be an associate sponsor for the season, and primary sponsor for 5-6 races throughout the season. Still, it would be a lot of good exposure. We'll just have to see what the next few years brings.
Absolutely agree.

It's going to be great watching him go forthe Truck series championship this year, & see what he can do in JR Motorsports (Hendrick) equipment next year.
Not sure how many race fans we have in the current student body, but hopefully they will really get behind him this year.

Maybe some students in Sports Marketing or S.T.E.M. programs can take an LU sponsored trip down to Mooresville to visit the race shop during the off season.
I do agree that having him making appearances on campus would be a good idea but its not like they can just call him and say, "Hey, we know youre in Fontana right now but could you fly back and make an appearance? We'd need you to make a burnout in front of DeMoss too..."
Pretty sure he is going to be on campus as a residential student this year. True, he'll be gone most weekends to race, but he'll be around plenty to interact with the student body.
It probably wouldn't be a big deal for KBM/JR Motorsports/Hendrick to get a car up there for special events.
I know he'll be racing at Talladega on Homecoming weekend, but they could easily have the truck (& one of next year's) cars up there for the weekend & parade.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Byron live on Fox Sports1 Nascar Race Hub coming up
BJWilliams wrote:I do agree that having him making appearances on campus would be a good idea but its not like they can just call him and say, "Hey, we know youre in Fontana right now but could you fly back and make an appearance? We'd need you to make a burnout in front of DeMoss too..."
While there is generally more advanced planning than that, actually, if you are the primary sponsor of a NASCAR team, you can pretty much have them do whatever you want if it's legal and doesn't conflict with an essential race event Drivers are flying around to do stuff for sponsors all the time
Old Red wrote:Not sure LU could justify dropping the funds needed for a full season at the cup level. However, we could probably be an associate sponsor for the season, and primary sponsor for 5-6 races throughout the season. Still, it would be a lot of good exposure. We'll just have to see what the next few years brings.
You do realize the school has almost more money than it can spend fast enough, right? At least, that's according to a quote of some people on here that's attributed to an article somewhere...
Old Red wrote:Not sure LU could justify dropping the funds needed for a full season at the cup level. However, we could probably be an associate sponsor for the season, and primary sponsor for 5-6 races throughout the season. Still, it would be a lot of good exposure. We'll just have to see what the next few years brings.
I think I said in the other thread about him that it would cost about $5m to be a primary sponsor for the full season to start, which Im sure a)the university can swing and b) will more than pay for itself in enrollments both residential and online and in ad revenue and exposure, especially if he finds himself at the front as much as he has in KNPSE and now in the Truck Series
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Interviewed last week in USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... /89601142/
12 Questions with William Byron
... I’m a big fan, so I’ve watched races from when I grew up as a kid — which for me was probably 2004 or ’05.
:shock:

I knew he was young but wow
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As I started following this kid when LU became his sponsor, it became very clear to me that he is one of a VERY select few of the really young guys who has the respect of the industry. Most of the kids hes racing have dads who helped them get their rides. William has flat out dominated his competitors every step up the ladder ... and he has flown up it. I had basically written off NASCAR from my attention until his arrival. My son & youngest daughter actually sat and watched a truck race a couple of weeks ago just because it was fun to see the LU logo on the screen the whole time. I am jazzed to see his development.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
trying to wrap my head around somebody being his college roommate

trying to plan we're you're gonna grab dinner at the new Student Union, then you realize he's racing in Daytona with Kyle Bush

talk about a collision of 2 worlds
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:trying to wrap my head around somebody being his college roommate

trying to plan we're you're gonna grab dinner at the new Student Union, then you realize he's racing in Daytona with Kyle Bush

talk about a collision of 2 worlds
Yeah...

Roommate: Hey you gonna help with the tailgate for the homecoming game?
Byron: I can't...I'll be racing at Talladega
Roommate: oh right...
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]