Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
well can coach alder finally get the boys over the hump and win a title?? the flames are hot right now and hopefully we can keep it rolling. the 1st round opponent is birmingham southern, a team we lost to 3-1 in the regular season. if you have never been to RU's stadium, it is one of the finest in college soccer. GO FLAMES!!!
Liberty To Face Birmingham-Southern in Big South Men's Soccer Championship
Flames enter Big South Championship on four-game win streak.
October 28, 2006
Lynchburg, Va.

The Liberty Flames will play the Birmingham-Southern Panthers in the first round of the upcoming Big South Men’s Soccer Championship as the pairings for the tournament were announced with the end of conference’s regular season earlier this evening.

Liberty, 8-5 overall, captured the Big South’s No. 4 seed with a 4-3 conference record for 12 points. The Flames will square off in the first contest of the 2006 Big South Men’s Soccer Championship against the No. 5 seed Birmingham-Southern Panthers Thursday at Noon. Liberty will enter the contest on a four-game winning streak. The Panthers finished the conference play with a 3-3-1 mark and enter Thursday’s first round match with a 6-9-1 overall record.

The Winthrop Eagles earned the conference’s top seed with a 5-1-1 league mark for 16 points. The Eagles finished a point ahead of Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, who posted a 5-2 Big South record and 15 points in picking up the No. 2 seed. The Radford Highlanders, who will host this year’s championship, are the No. 3 seed after finishing conference play with a 4-1-2 record and 14 points. After Liberty as the No. 4 seed and Birmingham-Southern as the No. 5 seed, High Point notched a 3-4 record and nine points to finish with the No. 6 seed. UNC Asheville (2-5, six points) and VMI (0-7, zero points) rounded out the Big South regular season standings and the seedings.

The 2006 Big South Men’s Soccer Championship begins Thursday, Nov. 2 at Patrick D. Cupp Stadium in Radford, Va. with four games, and concludes with the championship game on Sunday, Nov. 5. The Big South Champion receives an automatic bid to the NCAA Men’s Soccer Tournament. The Conference Championship schedule is as follows:

Thursday, Nov. 2
Game 1: No. 4 Liberty vs. No. 5 Birmingham-Southern, Noon ET
Game 2: No. 1 Winthrop vs. No. 8 VMI, 2:30 p.m. ET
Game 3: No. 2 Coastal Carolina vs. No. 7 UNC Asheville, 5 p.m. ET
Game 4: No. 3 Radford vs. No. 6 High Point, 7:30 p.m.

Friday, Nov. 3
Game 5: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner (Semifinals), 4 p.m. ET
Game 6: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner (Semifinals), 7 p.m. ET

Sunday, Nov. 5
Game 7: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner (Championship), 2 p.m. ET

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Anyone plan on going if we make the 2nd round?
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Anyone plan on going if we make the 2nd round?
would but i am swamped all day on friday.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If we make it and I can get some people to go with me, I plan on skipping two classes to go to it.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:If we make it and I can get some people to go with me, I plan on skipping two classes to go to it.
have fun :D
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
any radio coverage for the tourney games?
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i do not think so.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Congrats to the Flames for winning the opening game of the tourney, beating BSC, 2-0. If Winthrop beats VMI in the next game (which they should), we should have an entertaining battle between the Flames and the Eagles tomorrow in the semis.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Time to figure out how to get to Radford tomorrow.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
a great start to the tournament! could this be the year? i fully expect us to play much different against winthrop than the last meeting.
Liberty Rolls Past #5 Birmingham-Southern 2-0 in First Round of 2006 Big South Men's Soccer Tournament
Joshua Boateng netted his third goal of the season.
November 2, 2006
Radford, Va.
» Box Score

Josh Boateng and Adrian Bumbut each scored goals and the Flames defense put together another strong effort as the No. 4 seed Liberty Flames shutout the No. 5 seed Birmingham-Southern Panthers, 2-0, in the first game of the 2006 Big South Men's Soccer Championship, Thursday afternoon at Patrick D. Cupp Stadium on the campus of Radford University.

With its fifth-straight victory, Liberty improves to 9-5 on the season and moves on to play No. 1 seed Winthrop, a 2-0 winner over No. 8 seed VMI in the second game of the afternoon, Friday at 4 p.m. in the semifinals. With loss, the Birmingham-Southern ends the season at 6-10-1. It is the first time since 1999 that the Flames have won five-straight games.

Pressuring the Panther net early, the Flames jumped on top in the 31st minute in the first half. Midfielder Brandon Patterson (Jr., MF, Lakeland, Fla.) found Darryl Roberts (R-Sr., Trincity, Trinidad) open in the box with a pass, which the forward flipped to the right side hitting an attacking Boateng (MF, Accra, Ghana) who put the ball in the back of the net for a 1-0 Liberty lead. It was the sophomore’s third goal of the season.

In the second half, Liberty added another goal in the 52nd minute to push its lead to 2-0. Forward Toby Lewis (Jr., Morrison, Colo.) won control of the ball at midfield and lofted a pass behind the Birmingham-Southern defense to midfielder Bumbut (Sr., Zalau, Romania). Bumbut then beat the goalkeeper one-on-one for an insurance goal and his fifth tally of the season.
Once again, the Flames continued their recent outstanding play on the defensive end as for the fourth time in five games, Liberty led by all-conference first team defender Osei Telesford (Sr., San Juan, Trinidad) shut out the Panthers.

Liberty took 13 shots on the day as the Flames’ defense held the Panthers to just five shots. Birmingham-Southern goalkeeper Joseph Anthony posted four saves, while Flame netminder Kevin Mahan (Sr., Waterford, Mich.) recorded two saves.

QUOTES

Liberty Coach Jeff Alder
“I am very proud of our boys today. We talked about this before the game. We must be courageous and rely on our teammates. In the game, we rallied around each other and that was the recipe for success.”

Birmingham-Southern Coach Preston Goldfarb
“It was a hard fought game.”
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
SJ--you going? You won't even have to watch Radford as they got upset.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Couldn't find anyone to go with me. I can't afford to drive over there by myself. If I had a Honda Accord I'd go in a heartbeat but I get 14.5 mpg right now in my car.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
LU up 1-0 Bumbut with the header off off a corner. Good start!
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Going into overtime with Winthrop tied 1-1. Hopefully we can pull the upset
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's considerably better than our debacle against them earlier this year. We gave them everythign they could handle today.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Looked like it was a good match. LU held WU without a shot in the first half. It looks like WU finally found a way to get the ball around the goal in the 2nd half and OT and get a couple to go in. There were also alot of fouls, which is pretty typical when these two teams go at each other, especially in the tourney.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Tough loss for the guys. Been a rough year w/ the injuries on the team.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
very tough loss for the boys today. it really caps an end to a what if season. congrats on the strong late season surge and a good tournament run.
#1 Winthrop Defeats #4 Liberty in Overtime to Advance to The Finals of the 2006 Big South Men's Soccer Tournament

Adrian Bumbut scored his fifth goal of the season.
November 3, 2006
Radford, Va.
» Box Score

Winthrop’s Henry Kalungi’s goal from 35 yards out seven minutes into overtime pushed the No. 1 seeded Eagles past the No. 4 seeded Liberty Flames, 2-1, in the fifth game of the 2006 Big South Men's Soccer Tournament Thursday night at Patrick D. Cupp Stadium on the campus of Radford University.

The setback snaps a five-game win streak by the Flames and ends Liberty’s season at 9-6. With the win, Winthrop improves to 14-2-3 and advances to face the winner of the No. 2 seeded Coastal Carolina and No. 6 seed High Point slated for later tonight on Sunday afternoon at 2:00pm in the finals.

In a match in which scoring opportunities were at a premium, Kalungi gathered up a pass from Otto Loewy in the middle of the field, turned toward the middle, lined up the shot and put the ball in the upper left corner just out of the keeper’s reach to pick up the 2-1 win.

Liberty took an early advantage 12 minutes into the contest. Midfielder Adrian Bumbut (Sr., Zalau, Romania) gave the Flames a 1-0 lead on a header from eight yards out off a corner kick service by Brandon Patterson (Jr., MF, Lakeland, Fla.). It was Bumbut’s second goal of the championship and his fifth of the season.

Behind another strong defensive effort, the Flames took its advantage into intermission as Liberty outshot Winthrop, 4-0, in the first half.

In the second half, Eagles were able to get some offense going in the second half and were able to convert one of its six-second half shots. Kalungi scored the first of his two goals in the 78th minute as he struck a one-time shot into the top left corner to knot the match at 1-1.

Pressing to tie the contest, Winthrop pushed forward in attempts to tie get more shot opportunities. Off a pass into the left side of the 18-yard box, Daniel Revivo redirected the service into the middle of the box where Kalungi was waiting on the ball.

Minutes before the Eagles tied the game, Liberty forward Toby Lewis (Jr., Morrison, Colo.) broke free down the middle of the field for a one-on-one with Winthrop goalkeeper Patrick Mitrovich. Lewis tried to place the ball into to the lower right corner, but Mitrovich made the save to keep Winthrop in the game.

Liberty posted nine shots and the Eagles notched seven shots on the evening. Winthrop held the edge in corner kicks, 5-3.

Winthrop goalkeeper Mitrovich posted three saves, while Liberty netter Kevin Mahan (Sr., Waterford, Mich.) recorded three saves.

QUOTES

Winthrop Coach Rich Posipanko
“I thought we played pretty poorly in the first half. It was not one of our better halves. In the second half we came out and played the way I thought we would from the beginning. The second half and overtime was a great college game to watch. Give credit to the Flames as they played very hard. We just feel fortunate to get the win.”

Liberty Coach Jeff Alder
“This one will sting all year. It wasn’t our greatest performance, but we still had a chance to put them away. Winthrop is the class of our League. They got two fantastic shots from a great player. It is a very tough loss.”

By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
congrats to kevin and osei on their outstanding play in the tournament.
Mahan and Telesford Named To 2006 Big South All-Tournament Team
November 4, 2006
Radford, Va.

Liberty goalkeeper Kevin Mahan and defender Osei Telesford were named to the 2006 Big South Men’s Soccer All-Tournament team after Sunday’s Big South Men’s Soccer Championship final in Radford, Va.

Mahan (Waterford, Mich.) was recognized for his outstanding play in the Liberty net during the tournament. The senior recorded his fourth shutout of the season in the Flames 2-0 first round win over Birmingham-Southern. He continued the scoreless run by holding Winthrop scoreless for the first 77 minutes in Liberty’s semifinal match-up with the top seed. Earlier in the week, Mahan was selected to the league’s Men’s Soccer Co-Scholar Athlete of the Year and Big South All-Academic team.

Telesford (San Juan, Trinidad) also was named to the team for his standout defensive play in front of Mahan. Named to his third Big South All-Conference first team earlier in the week, the senior anchored a defensive effort which did not allow an opponent a goal for 167 minutes. Telesford helped a defensive effort which allowed each of its opponents less than 10 shots.

The Flames’ season ended with a 2-1 overtime loss to first-seeded and eventual Big South Champion Winthrop Friday.

Pro sports

Election 2022 and 2024

All of this is why I just can’t believe the […]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

It's good to see us bringing in some quality recru[…]

2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class